The Lagos state government has revealed Whitney Adeniran, a student of Chrisland High School in Ikeja, died of asphyxia and electrocution.
Moyosore Onigbanjo, the state attorney-general, and commissioner for justice broke the news in a statement on Thursday.
Whitney died on February 9 during the school’s inter-house sports activities at Agege Stadium in Lagos.
Blessing Adeniran, her mother, had accused Chrisland of negligence over her death.
The school’s management, however, dismissed insinuations that there was foul play in the death case while citing that she slumped in public.
Chrisland also argued that Whitney complained about “not-too-buoyant health” a few days before she died.
Speaking on the incident, the attorney-general said the post-mortem conducted on the 12-year-old student revealed the “cause of death to be asphyxia and electrocution”.
Asphyxia, also known as suffocation, occurs when someone is deprived of oxygen and can result in unconsciousness or death.
Onigbanjo assured the public that justice will be served in the matter, adding that the “directorate of public prosecutions has been instructed to immediately issue legal advice”.
“Attorney-General and Commissioner for Justice, has received the post-mortem report dated 1st of March, 2023, issued by the Lagos State University Teaching Hospital, in respect of Adeniran Omodesola Whitney, who was until her demise, a student of Chrisland School, Opebi,” the statement reads.
Post a Comment